ads

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Selfie Love & Oversharing

Selfies are photos you take of yourself. Usually, people share their selfies on social media websites like Facebook and Instagram. Selfies can be a helpful way to promote your products or your business and share your lifestyle.

Yet there can be a dark side to selfies. Taking dozens of selfies while searching for the right angle or obsessing over how various filters will make you appear can be warning signs that your selfie habit might be going too far.

But how do you know if your selfies are actually a bad thing? It can be helpful to ask yourself four simple questions after you snap a picture…

How Do I Feel?

I remember when taking selfies made me very anxious. So, I would change clothes until I got an outfit that I thought sent the "right" message. And then I still wouldn't like the way I looked so I would pick out a different top and change my hair. I'd try different camera angles or locations. Nothing seemed to make me feel confident.

Sometimes, a selfie habit is more about seeking external validation than anything. I used to suffer from low self-esteem because of my weight. My selfies were my way of proving that even though I was fat, I still had a great business and a great life. When I realized this, I knew I needed to make a change.

Why Am I Sharing This?

Some people take selfies as a way to document a moment and remember it later. That’s why you might be tempted to take a selfie during a fun vacation or snap a picture during that beautiful sunset.

But before you share that picture on social media, ask yourself why you’re sharing it. Are you hoping to impress someone? Are you trying to make your life or your business seem better than it really is? Are you secretly wishing to make others jealous? Or are you genuinely eager to record the moment?

How Much of My Life Am I Publishing?

When you snap a picture, take a moment to review it. Pay attention to what’s in the background of your selfie. You could accidentally put yourself or someone else at risk if you’re not careful.

If you’re walking around your neighborhood, is your street address visible? If you’re in a setting like an event or a restaurant or party, are there others in the background that might not want to be in your picture? If you’re inside the changing room at your gym, are people in the background exposed?

Am I OK If This Goes Viral?

A tasteless selfie can seriously damage your reputation and even cause you to lose business. So before you post, ask yourself if you’d want your team, customers or extended family to see this photo.

Don’t rely on privacy settings to save you. Anyone can take a screenshot and share your private photo with the whole world even if you’ve deleted the original image. Once a selfie is online, you have to assume that it may be digitally accessible forever. So make a smart choices that won’t come back to haunt you.

Selfies can be a great way to make you feel confident, document a special moment and share your success. Just make sure you’re snapping and sharing for all the right reasons.

No comments: