ads

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Have You Gotten Thrown Off Course?


We've all been there.  Life is moving along at a good pace.  Your business is growing.  You're making progress toward your goals.  You're excited about what the future holds.

For some of us, that is the story of our lives.  But for others, everything changes in a moment.  You encounter disaster, disease, or discouragement.
But you’re not alone. Here is my story, along with the stories of two other women, friends of mine, whose lives were thrown off course by events outside of our control…

Facing Disaster

Betty was a stay-at-home mom who loved being with her kids.  She and her husband had saved for years to create their dream home in Joplin, MO.  Then they’d built it themselves, only outsourcing to two contractors where necessary.

You all know the story of Joplin.  On one spring afternoon, a tornado ripped through the town. It destroyed many buildings including Betty’s home. Fortunately, no one was in the house when the twister touched down.

Dealing with a Diagnosis

It was time for my regular GYN visit.  I went to these faithfully, twice a year.  Why twice?  Isn't the normal schedule once?  Yes...for most women.  But I always went twice.  Once for my normal checkup when I would inevitably be told they had found "atypical cells."  And I would be advised to come back in 6 months for a followup...just in case.  I had been going through this routine for years.  I had been feeling a little run-down and tired.  But still, when I went to the doctor, I was expecting to be told that the results were normal (this was the followup), and that all was well.

So I was stunned when the doctor told me I had cancer and explained that because of my exposure to DES, it appeared to be particularly aggressive.  I had always considered myself healthy and the new diagnosis caught me by surprise.

Encountering Discouragement

Lydia was a network marketer and the sole breadwinner in her family. She loved that her products helped so many people. When she was finally making enough to quit her regular job, she was ready to take the opportunity.  She looked forward to her next scheduled work day so she could turn in her notice.

After years of hard work, Lydia had finally achieved her dream…right as the company closed with no warning. 

Your life can change in an instant through no fault of your own. Adversity can strike at any time and throw you off course. The good news is that you can overcome these circumstances and continue to build a beautiful life even after devastation.

How do you find your way back?  When all your plans for the future are suddenly turned upside-down, how do you keep moving?  That's the subject of my upcoming series.  Don't miss it!



No comments: