ads

Friday, September 27, 2019

How To Overcome Setbacks & Obstacles

I had been trying to make my network marketing business work for years. Then my dad came to live with me and I really needed to be able to work from home. When I finally found the right coach and mentor, I began to see some success. Now, I was able to actually recruit people and sell products. I was actually making money and caring for my dad and I looked forward to each new day.

But just as I was finding my groove and seeing some success, I began to see a change in the company...one that I didn't feel comfortable with. When I heard that they were under investigation by the FTC, I was disappointed. I knew I couldn't in good faith continue to promote them. I felt like it was just a matter of time before they were shut down (and I was right). It felt like a huge setback and I wasn’t sure if I could overcome it.

Have you ever been where I was? You felt like you were in your groove. You were on your way to achieving an important goal then something made the brakes screech to a halt.

Now you’re left wondering how you’re supposed to deal with this latest setback or obstacle. The good news is there are a few things you can do to turn this obstacle into an opportunity…

Reframe It

When you encounter a setback or obstacle, you might be tempted to turn it into a catastrophe. You say things like, “I knew this would happen! Nothing goes right for me and I can’t do this!”

Instead of looking at this problem as the end of your journey. Challenge yourself to see it differently. For example, you might say, “I’m really bummed that ABC happened. But I can use this as a learning experience and grow from it.”

This simple attitude flip puts you back in the driver’s seat. Instead of being a helpless victim, you re-affirm that you’re in charge and you reclaim your power.

Make an Action Plan

Now that you’re in a positive state of mind, it’s time to deal with your obstacle or setback. You need to start brainstorming solutions. Grab a sheet of paper and pen or your favorite smart device. Try to list 20 possible ways you could deal with the situation.

Not all of your solutions have to be realistic or even ideal. The important thing is that you begin brainstorming and thinking. As you stay open to new ideas, you may just come across the perfect solution.

Ask a Mentor for Help

If you have an action plan but don’t know which option is the best, reach out to your mentor or a coach. Share what you’re walking through and your top 3 solutions. Then ask for their advice.

Be prepared to listen—even if you don’t like the answer. Your coach or mentor may have a suggestion that you hadn’t considered before. Don’t be quick to dismiss a new idea. Instead, quiet your inner ego and listen. You never know what you might discover!
Facing an obstacle is never easy. But you can overcome anything that life throws at you with the right attitude and a solid action plan.

No comments: