ads

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

The Day The Lights Went Out on Facebook...

 

...And Instagram. And YouTube.

 I got a bunch of text messages and phone calls from people panicking because FB and IG being down meant they were losing money because they have no other way to communicate with their audience. They were having an absolute MELTDOWN and had no other way to function. It's rather disconcerting, actually, how dependent on social media so many of us have become. Including me to some extent. I was just thinking the other day that I couldn't recall the last time I used my phone for it's actual intended purpose...as a PHONE! I am very lazy about getting phone numbers from people. If I want to talk to someone I usually make calls on messenger. And it was down too!

But the one thing I have always done for 23 years now is get my best people onto my newsletter. And I have my blog. So I can ALWAYS communicate. The only two things you actually control online are your email list and your blog.

And if you are reading this then maybe you are beginning to understand why focusing your marketing just on social media...ANY social media...is not a good idea. It's a very dangerous game.

I know blogging isn't for everyone. But building an email list isn't difficult. Isn't it time you learned these skills once and for all so you are not at the mercy of a platform you can't control? If so, there are several options. Let me introduce you to the email marketing coach that taught me. Come hang out in the Smart & Sassy Business Women Facebook Group, where I will briefly go over some email marketing stuff periodically. Or do it yourself.

Beginning to build an email list is VERY simple and anyone can do it. Even YOU!

So while Facebook was down, I hopped over to Twitter...

(I know...technically it's "X" now, but it will always be Twitter to me)...

To read all the latest conspiracy theories.

Then after entertaining myself with all the foolery, I wrote my clients and team members and checked in on them. Now I'm writing this blog post and asking you how can I help you? Because losing money over things you can't control is definitely not a good thing at all. 

Let's face it. We're all hooked. Even me. I admit it. I spend way too much time on my phone. 

But writing an email is a 10 - 30 minute activity that can put you into profitability quicker than you think. And today may have been the day that makes you realize that having one is not optional if you want to have a successful, stable business. So leave a comment or hit me back on social if you are being beaten into submission today.

We can talk about whether the $9 a month my coach charges is worth it to you. Or whether hanging out in a group where I teach marketing stuff for free is the answer...as long as you're willing to wait until I decide to teach email. Or if doing it all yourself is how you roll.

Personally, I don't care which way you go, as long as you do something! Having an email list is more important than ever. Today just proved it.

 

No comments: