ads

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Sometimes It Pays to Step Outside the Norm! Meet Al Glover!

A few months ago, I did something quite outside the norm for me.  I went to a local networking event!  And not just any networking event.  I went to Metro After Hours!  You may ask why this was unusual.  Well...because it's an event for designers, architects, and others in that field.  Not the type of people you usually associate with networking meetups.  And definitely not the first people you think of when you say home business owners.  But hey...I figured they might want a bit of help with their businesses also so off I went.  And met this month's Success Story.  He's fun.  He's talented.  He's my newest friend!  Meet Al Glover!

1. Al, tell us about yourself.

I am an Oklahoma native who has spent lots of time in Northwest Arkansas with family.  I am a father of 2, husband, and artist. I have spent a number of years outside the country, living in Canada.  While in Canada, I taught color theory at the University in Alberta.  I also competed in rodeo for years as a young man!
 
2. Tell us about your business.
Foxx York Inc. is the brainchild of myself and my husband Richard Realtor.  We wanted to create a way to express our passions...in design, in real estate, in Art and other endeavors.  We offer services across the US.
 
3. Why did you decide to become a designer?
 
I have an uncle who is an Architect, and as a child I sat at the drawing board and learned from him.  He was a great inspiration to me, coupled with my passion for textural beauty.
 
4. How do you approach the design process?
 
My first degree was psychology.  But my desire to design took over.  I have developed what I term “the psychology of design”, the process of understanding my client and assisting them in the execution of a dream.
 
5. What inspires your designs?
 
My inspiration for design comes from literally everything... that sounds broad but it’s true.  It could be the clouds in the sky or an old abandoned rusty car.  Nature is probably one of the largest influences!
 
6.  What does it take to become a designer?  Are there certain skills or character traits one needs to be successful?
 
There are a great number of skills needed to become a designer.  And training is necessary.   I feel that the best designers are born with a 6th sense.  There is an understanding of scale and composition that is hard to teach.  A designer must be able to view the world through others' eyes.  To learn to listen to the client and help them realize their vision
 
7.  What do you like most and least about being your own boss?
 
Being self employed is probably the largest responsibility that I know of.  You have to be disciplined in your time, finances, and be your own self motivator!  I like the freedom of schedule the most and learning changing technology the least.
 
8.  What has been the most difficult part of being an entrepreneur?
 
To be a great entrepreneur, you must have the courage of a lion. The  most difficult part is likely the ever evolving business world. The constant need to change the way you do business in order to remain relevant.
 
9.  This is a website for budding entrepreneurs and so I always ask for some tips from those who are “doing it”.   Do you have any resources that you have used that you would recommend?
 
I suggest that any business owner always keep an open mind to how to reach and relate to their clientele.  There is always another way!
 
10. Do you have any tips to share on promoting yourself?
 
Social media has changed the way we promote ourselves. I think picking a direction and sticking with it is key.  Don’t try to cover too many bases.
 
11. What other advice would like to share?
 
Above all, honesty is the key to success.
 
12. How can we contact you to learn more FoxxYork and your services?
 
Al Glover, Interior Designer
PO Box 7167
Springdale AR 72766

Mobile: 469-441-4941
Office: 479-200-5800

Text is best!
 
13. Is there anything else you would like to share?
Thank you for this opportunity and hope to work with you further.

No comments: