ads

Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Other Half of FoxxYork - Meet Richard Realtor®!

I'll bet you didn't realize that when I introduced you to Al Glover of FoxxYork, that he came with a partner. Well he does! And it makes perfect sense. Al is a designer. But what good is a designer without a home to work in. So now it's time to meet the other half of the team. Before you design your perfect home, you have to have a good foundation to work with. And this gentleman helps you do just that. Meet Richard Rolfingsmeyer otherwise affectionately known as Richard Realtor®!

1.  Tell us about yourself.

My name is Richard Rolfingsmeyer, or since 1995, when I added a marketing name because most people were unable to say or spell my last name, I go by, “Richard-REALTOR®".

I was born and raised in southern Illinois across the river from St. Louis, MO in the towns of Belleville and Millstadt. I’m a 2nd generation Realtor that’s been licensed since 1992 and have been around the real estate industry since I was 6 years old through my parent’s appraisal, insurance, property management and real estate businesses.

I used to own a RE/MAX Office in Edwardsville, IL, but in 2011 I sold my shares to move to Northwest Arkansas to help take care of my In-Laws who have health issues. And my partner, Al Glover is a Designer, and we both participate in activities associated with
the NWADA (Northwest Arkansas Design Association), HBA (Home Builders Association) and Northwest Equality events and groups that support local advocacy for diversity awareness in our community.

2.  Tell us about your business.

I started out as a Sales Associate/Owner at my family owned Century 21 Agency, then we went Independent with Master’s Real Estate, then I moved to Coldwell Banker Nester as a Sales Associate and ran their Property Management Dept. Residential/Commercial, then moved to Keller Williams Renaissance Centre as a Sales Associate and became their Team Leader to Recruit/Train/Consult, then moved to RE/MAX Preferred Partners-IL & RE/MAX Gold-MO as a Sales Associate/Owner/Manager, then moved to Arkansas and joined RE/MAX Real Estate Results as a Sales Associate.

3.  Why did you decide to go into real estate?

My parents wanted me to get into the business with them from a young age, but I wanted to go to Art School to be an Artist instead and not wanting to do anything that my folks were doing. Since I was 15 I’ve been working because I asked my parents to sign off on an early workers permit to allow me to work before I was 16. But at age 21 I was vacationing in Lake Havasu AZ with friends and ended up in a boating accident that caused me to not be able to lift at my job, so I was forced by my doctor not to work for months. Real estate did not require me to lift and my Mom talked me into getting my real estate license. Here I am 27 years later and at age 48, I’m happy with my decision to get into the family biz and proud of my career choice with all its accomplishments. 

4.  What is the difference between a real estate agent and a realtor?

Both must be licensed to sell real estate, but the biggest difference between a real estate agent and a REALTOR® is that the REALTOR® is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) and the word REALTOR® is a federally trademarked word using the circle trademark “R” when used in print.

A REALTOR® must subscribe to the
REALTOR® Code of Ethics, which includes 17 articles and to the public, this part can matter most and typically why the Code of Ethics matters to a consumer because they are enforced by local real estate boards and they contain an underlying Standards of Practice. These standards are more restrictive and confining to conduct business than state guidelines that govern real estate agents who simply hold a license.

These 17 Articles are intrinsic to a REALTOR® in their everyday business practice, but one article typically stands above the rest: Above all, the REALTOR® must pledge to put the interests of their clients above their own.

These 17 things a REALTOR® promises to do through their affiliation and membership that real estate agents don't because they’re not affiliated nor a member can be found here:
NAR Code of Ethics 2019

The National Association of REALTORS® was founded in 1908 and in 2018 has 1.3 million members. And usually if a real estate agent is not a member, it's because they do not do enough business to justify the costs of affiliation or membership.

5.  How do you help people find the right home?

I have a Buyer Questionnaire that I send or email to Clients that once answered allows me to better understand their situation and options to Buy. Then I enter their search criteria into our local MLS (Multiple Listing Service) and any properties that meet their needs and wants are emailed back to them for their review. If they have a chance to drive by any of them before we schedule time to view is best. Once we begin looking, I ask them to rate each home on a scale of 1-10, 1 is low and 10 is high and I keep their top 3 to review at the end to see if there are any that they want more info on or to make an Offer. If they like one the best we make an Offer and if it gets accepted by the Seller, we go through inspections, appraisal, title processes and if all is clear we can Close on the “right home” for them.

6.  When it’s time for someone to sell their home, can you make that process easier? How?

Yes, I have a Seller Questionnaire that I send or email to Clients that once answered allows me to better understand their situation and options to Sell and provide them with a Market Valuation. With 27 years of experience, I can provide hassle-free service along with Seller Net Sheets (List Price & Offer Ranges that allow a Seller to understand what Terms they can accept when Offers come in and what they will approximately need to bring to or walk away with from Closing). And I have a team of professionals that I work with: a Professional Stager/ Designer & Photographer to make things easier for a Seller to be more prepared for Market. 

7.  What does it take to become a realtor? Are there certain skills or character traits one needs to be successful?

Anyone can take an Online Real Estate Course or take a Local Real Estate School’s Course to become a Salesperson or a Broker. Once they pass that they then study for and take the State Exam to be a Salesperson or a Broker. And once they pass that they can then join a local Real Estate Company, as well as the Local Board of REALTORS and the State and National Association of REALTORS.

Typically, a REALTOR is someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and people or sales skills. And when I used to own and recruit Agents, I interviewed all kinds of people with different skills and backgrounds. Many people we thought would do great in the business are no longer in it and others you sometimes questioned if they would make it are still in it and thriving. So it’s sometimes a mistake to say that only those with a certain skill set or traits that can or cannot make it. I personally believe that if anyone has a remote desire to do real estate then they owe it to themselves to do it and see how things go. Because you just never know unless you try first.

8.  What do you like most and least about being your own boss?

MOST: Ability to earn as little or as much as you want or can each year, no ceiling. The freedom to determine your own schedule, to some degree, and the ability to travel when you want, within reason. This past year we were able to take a three week vacation, which we used to think would be too long or impossible to do at a consecutive time frame. And the answer to all of those were, it wasn’t too long and was very possible to be gone that amount of time when you have people you trust to assist you with your business while you are away so that you can truly enjoy your time off, be it a few days, a week or even three weeks or more.

LEAST: After 27 years, I have a tough time adding anything to this column. Maybe not getting Federal Holidays off, but I do when I can schedule it that way. Or maybe having to do everything, but I have learned that it’s a cost of doing the business I love to do.

9.  What has been the most difficult part of being a realtor?

Like I just mentioned, realizing that you are required to do everything yourself or hire others that can do things for you. i.e. marketing, processing, secretary, sales, accounting, handyperson, negotiator, prospector, etc, and the list goes on.

10.  This is a website for budding entrepreneurs and so I always ask for some tips from those who are “doing it”. Do you have any resources that you have used that you would recommend?

Apps: TurboScan, DocuSign, DropBox, Compass, RPR, VenMo, CashApp, LandGlide, MileIQ

Software or Programs: DocuSign, PaperlessPiepline, FormSimplicity, GoogleDrive, ShowingTime, Xpressdocs 0

Training: David Knox, Mike Ferry, Tom Ferry, Richard Robbins, Brian Buffini

11.  Do you have any tips to share on promoting yourself?

Do not underestimate the power of the word-of-mouth personally or through all social media platforms. Advertise to a niche market by mail or online and hand write notes. Network as much or as often possible with as many organizations, groups or people as you can to help build and grow your business.

12.  What other advice would like to share?

Pay yourself first, then bills, debts and reinvesting in your business, find a charity that you’re passionate about to donate to regularly and be sure to save money to invest in real estate, retirement and travel. Trust your gut and surround yourself with people that believe in you and what you are wanting to do. Read books or quotes that help inspire your mind and soul. And stop trying to please everyone because it’s impossible. Embrace change and acknowledge the good you have in your life and business.

13.  How can we contact you to learn more on you and your services?

Call or text me at 618-779-8065

Email at
RichardRealtor@FoxxYork.com

Website: www.Richard-Realtor.com

Facebook: Facebook for Richard

Twitter: @RichardREALTOR



14.  Is there anything else you would like to share?

Thank you for reading and allowing me to share.








No comments: