ads

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Functional Art? Meet Christopher McDaniel

Browsing on Facebook, I repeatedly saw pictures posted of furniture.  The most unique and beautiful furniture.  I would like the post and tell myself that when we were done remodeling and I was ready to furnish, I would find out who was posting these photos so I could perhaps purchase a few pieces for myself.  Well, it turns out that I already know who is making them!  I'm more than a little embarrassed to say that it took me awhile to figure it out - especially since he is a friend of mine!  A real friend not just a Facebook friend!  True, we haven't spoken in a little while, but still....  Anyway, once I figured it out, I knew I had to introduce him to everyone.  Looking for some functional art for your home?  Look no further.  Meet Christopher McDaniel!

1.  Chris, Tell us about yourself.

My name is Christopher McDaniel, Owner of Custom CreteAtions.

2. Tell us about your business.
We specialize in making custom furniture designed specifically for each customer.  We love using premium woods to design our furniture around because not only is it more beautiful and features unique grain patterns, but it makes it custom to the purchaser!

3. Why did you start your own business?

I got tired of buying furniture from major retailers just to have it break or fall apart within a matter of months.  Out of this frustration I set out to build my own furniture that I knew could stand up to the rigors of everyday life (kids, pets, etc.).  While making my first table, which was a polished concrete coffee table, I learned that I really liked the building and designing process and decided to start my business. 

4. How did you choose this particular niche?
I struggled with this a little and got discouraged many times because I never really defined my niche in the beginning.  I just labeled myself as a furniture maker and went with it.  I found it hard to compete with others in the same field because they priced their pieces so cheap because they were using cheaper materials.  It wasn’t until I sat back and truly thought about what I was doing that it came to me.  I wasn’t just a furniture maker, I designed and crafted Functional Art!  It is furniture that is unique and unlike other pieces that looks amazing in your home or office but is still 100% usable.

5. What do you like most and least about being your own boss?
I like the total control that being an entrepreneur offers.  Your success is determined by how hard you are willing to work.  I don’t like that there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

6. What personality traits and skills are needed to run a business?
You have to be driven!  There are many times where it seems like you hit a brick wall in one aspect or another and you have to dig down and push through it.  If you don’t then you might as well close up shop.

7. What has been the most difficult part of being an entrepreneur?
Right now, it’s finding time to do everything that needs to be done.  Working with limited help has made utilizing proper time management skills a must! 

8.  Do you have any resources that you have used to build your business that you would recommend? 
I have found that when processing payments using a trusted and well-known processor is vital!  I personally use PayPal and Square to process payments and it gives buyers a sense of reassurance knowing that they have options if they feel something is fishy. 

9. Do you have any tips to share on promoting yourself?
Marketing/promoting yourself is something that you always have to be doing!  If you want to stay competitive then you have to keep your business on the forethought of potential customers.  Luckily, we have many free ways to do this through Facebook, Instagram, and other social media outlets.

10. What other advice would like to share with someone starting their own business? 
Have a business plan! Have a marketing plan! Have a sales plan!  If you don’t start with the foundation for your business, then it will crumble!  I formed a rough business plan and had an idea of how I was going to market the business in my head but when it came time to execute, I fell flat on my face.  I then had to take a step back and physically draw it out step by step to get myself back on track.  More importantly then that, the plan needs to be able to “grow” with your business.  Don’t think of it as a one time and done deal but as a living breathing piece of your business that must be adapted to the current market environment.

11. How can we contact you to learn more about your products and services? 
Primary ways to contact Custom CreteAtions is through our Facebook or Instagram pages.

12. Is there anything else you would like to share?

All followers and page likers will receive special first chance to buy opportunities at discounted prices before they go to official sales sights! We also offer a referral bonus program where you can earn 5% by referring a customer to us based off the amount they purchase!

No comments: