I met Amber Unger through Facebook. We started to communicate and she eventually joined my 30 Day Marketing Intensive (sorry, no link. This is about Amber not a plug for me). As we began to talk every day or so during this time frame, I become more charmed with her and her story and I knew I had to share it. I know you will love her as much as I have come to. So without further ado - Meet Amber Unger!
1. Amber, tell us a little about yourself. I am a mom and a business woman. Mom first! I am a very shy person, so trying to build a business was a challenge for me. It pushed me way outside my comfort zone. But it has also helped me develop more self confidence!
2. Tell us about your business. Like so many other women starting a business, I am in network marketing/direct sales. I am with a company called Scentsy. We market home fragrance products that are wickless, flameless and much safer than traditional scented candles.
3. Why did you start your own business? The same reason a most other women. More time with my kids and more freedom to do things with them and yet still be able to help support my family.
4. How did you choose this particular niche? I've always used candles to release a fragrance into the air. I knew the wax from the candles were evaporating into my clothes , my lungs, and on my walls. I wanted a safer alternative to having that fragrance released into the air of my home without the dangers of a candle with flame. I've always heard about going wickless and flameless but I never knew about Scentsy. I found out about Scentsy through my Hairdresser when Scentsy had Bricks on sale back in 2013. My first ever purchase was a Salted Caramel Brick. which I fell in love with INSTANTLY! Then one night an old friend from high school was challenged to host a party, so I said sure I'll help. Well, the party was so successful that I realized I could make money at this and so I decided to become a rep. Since then it has been the best thing I have ever done. It has earned me an income that helps support my family household bills.
5. What do you like most and least about being your own boss? I enjoy being my own boss for I can "work" aka chat and post pictures on social media even when I'm not well. Some of you may know that I have been having some health issues lately. But I can still take five minutes to make a post that will create engagement for my audience.
The hardest part of being an entrepreneur is finding people to buy from you. I admit I love my products but as I said, I am normally very shy so having to talk to people is difficult for me. But I'm learning!
6. What personality traits and skills are needed to run a business? Having People skills is the most important. And this is coming from someone who isn't a bubbly talkative person! Although put me in a room and get me talking about Scentsy and I cannot stop! As I said, I'm learning! I guess I just needed the right inspiration.
7. What has been the most difficult part of being an entrepreneur?
The only difficult thing about my business is in my area there is a Scentsy Rep at every corner so I found to keep a customer base you have to have personal deals which then creates happy loyal customers who then spread the word about your deals.
8. Do you have any resources that you have used to build your business that you would recommend? A positive team is always very helpful. Using social media has been my number one resource for the majority of my sales. I am a part of a few Direct Sales Facebook groups that help and support each other.
9. Do you have any tips to share on promoting yourself? STAY true to your loyal customers. Spoil them. Use your host credits to get an extra bar to make bigger samples from. Get that laundry package and give slightly bigger samples than you would give to an average customer. Loyalty needs to be rewarded.
10. What other advice would like to share with someone starting their own business? Start small. You don't need everything all at once. Once you've built a customer base then buy yourself a printer which can help make labels and flyers to help brand yourself.
11. How can we contact you to learn more about your products and services? I love sharing Scentsy with others. Please feel free to contact me to learn more about our products and services from my website or on Facebook.
12. Is there anything else you would like to share? Join my team :)