ads

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Free College? Yes, Says Elizabeth Wallace

As the grandmother of a soon-to-be high school graduate, I am concerned about the ever-increasing cost of a college education.  So when I heard about a book titled "Free College" I was immediately intrigued.  And after reading it, I knew I had to share it and it's author with everyone.  If you have a college-bound teen in your family, you will be thrilled.  Meet Elizabeth Wallace!


1.      Elizabeth, please tell us about yourself.

I’m a California native, born and raised in Los Angeles. When I was a child, my family took summer trips all over the U.S. visiting National Parks, so I’ve seen much of the country. I began teaching in my neighbor’s backyard when I was only seven. I planned on becoming an English teacher, but after learning French and German, I realized teaching languages was my passion. After teaching for a few years, I started visiting Europe. Since then I’ve filled up three passports with my travels, even living in South Africa for two years.

2.       Tell us about your book.

Free College contains a step-by-step guide based on the lifetime habits and strategies of hundreds of successful high school graduates. All of these students were accepted at the college of their choice. They also earned a great deal of scholarship money. Those who mastered each of these tactics earned full-ride scholarships. Those who practiced fewer of them earned less free money for college. The book explains to the reader what was done, how it was done, and the results. Each chapter ends with an action plan and a place to record information to be used later when applying for college, scholarships and grants.

3.       Why did you write this book?

Once I realized college was no longer affordable, like it was when I attended, I started researching how students could pay for college without taking out student loans. I began sharing this information with my students. Then other students asked for my help. I started using my lunch break to explain what I had discovered. Soon we had to move these meetings from my classroom to the school theater, because the group was so large. When I told my sister what I was doing, she challenged me to write a book so families everywhere could learn what works when raising future college scholarship and grant applicants.

4.       How did you choose this particular subject?

I didn’t pick the subject of my book. It picked me. I’ve always tried to help students reach their goals. I know going to college is an important step for them. Once they’ve been accepted, however, they need a way to pay for it. After I figured out what families do to win large scholarships and grants, I knew my sister was right. I had to write the book.

5.       Why is free college for all such an important goal?

If you’ve ever been in debt, you know how it feels. Student loan debt is worse. It follows students throughout their lives and cannot be eliminated in bankruptcy. Over 40 million Americans suffer from these loans. When I went to college, states fully funded education. Therefore, my tuition was only $65 per semester. Even taking inflation into consideration, tuition now is outrageous. It’s impossible for students to do what I did. I found a job, lived at home with my parents, and paid for my education with money I earned from my job while going to college. I graduated debt free. I want students to have the future of their dreams, not one full of anxiety from the burden of student loans.

6.       What can students do to help them earn more money for college?

There are eighteen proven strategies listed in Free College. They are over and above taking “hard” classes, getting good grades, completing the A – G requirements, earning high scores on the ACT or SAT, and applying for scholarships and/or grants early and often.

7.       What has been the most difficult part of getting your message out?

The most difficult part of getting my message out has been doing it alone. But that’s true for any author. When I speak to individuals, and they learn they can avoid taking out college loans for their children, they’re thrilled. It’s impossible for me to spread the word person to person, of course, so my plan is to speak to groups of parents. But this too is self-limiting. I need to get the word out to parents of preschool through high school students everywhere.

8.       Do you have any resources that you would recommend for the college bound student or their families? 

The most important thing for parents to do is to start early, even before their kids are in preschool. Talk, read, sing, play, laugh, dine and travel with their children. Parents are the greatest resource for college bound students. In addition, adopt the habits of successful graduates. Again, start early. Winning scholarships and grants is a competition. Most people won’t do what it takes. Be the family that does, and reap the rewards.

9.       This is a business blog and while I love your book and think the topic is SOOO important – especially with a bevy of college bound grandchildren, I do have to ask a couple of business related questions.  So…you’ve been hard at work promoting your book.  And quite well, I might add.  Do you have any tips to share on promoting yourself?

The most important tip I was given in promoting my book was to figure out my niche. For me it’s parents or grandparents of preschool through high school students. Focus brings success. I know this. Even so, it’s sometimes difficult to stay on the right path, without being distracted. I’m on Twitter, @ElizaWallace27. My goal there is to compile information which will help students, and to spread the word. When I’m planning my marketing time in the real world, I try to optimize it by reaching individuals who are members of organizations in my niche, like the PTA, church groups, library groups, etc.

10.   What other advice would like to share with new authors? 

I listened to those who warned me I needed a traditional publisher because my topic is so important. The first one I met wanted to sign me to a contract immediately. He had a good reputation and contacts with several school districts. One school district bigwig had recently told him they needed a book on the topic covered in my work. After showing district leaders my book, they requested over 125K copies in the first printing. My publisher was overwhelmed. He didn’t have the financial resources needed, but was not upfront with me, even when I asked pointed questions. I wasted over a year waiting for him to perform as our contract demanded. My mistake. My advice to others, don’t listen to what publishers say. Look at what they do. If they violate your contract, cut bait.

11.   Where can we purchase your book? 

My book is on Amazon. Here’s the link.

12.   Is there anything else you would like to share?

If any of your followers live in south Orange County, California and would like me to speak about College & Scholarship Readiness, to their PTA, church group or other large gathering, they can reach me at freecollegeinfo@earthlink.net.

2 comments:

Beverly Mahone said...

Interesting and informative post. I follow Elizabeth on Twitter and wasn't exactly sure of what she does but now I know. Thanks for sharing! I also commented on your blog in my latest blog post.

Melodieann Whiteley said...

I met Elizabeth on Twitter. Was always seeing her tweets about free college but have to say, I just didn't get it. Then I saw her book, bought it, and was just amazed at how much I didn't know!