ads

Friday, June 22, 2018

Build a Better Business with This One Simple Habit

I remember when I changed my side hustle into a full-time gig. I'd spent months working hard to walk away from the job that took me away from home far too often. I loved what I did but trying to care for my dad made it impossible to really devote myself to may career. I really needed to work from home.

So, I made the decision to just go for it. Being relatively new at this, I started hanging out at local networking events, looking for others I could connect with. That's where I met Kerry. As soon as I started talking to her, I knew we were going to become good friends. She was so warm and welcoming. And SMART! And more than willing to help the new kid in town.

But what really impressed me was Kerry’s book collection. She had dozens of non-fiction books on almost every subject.

When she saw me eying her small library, she laughed, “I’m always reading something. I think it’s the best way to learn more about the world and it’s a habit that served me well when I started my coaching business.”

I am an avid reader. So hearing Kerry say that my reading habit could benefit my business was just validation of something I had always known....reading has some wonderful benefits for everyone, especially entrepreneurs. If you haven’t picked up a good book in a while, here are a few reasons to do that now…

Discover New Ideas

Reading doesn’t just boost your vocabulary or make you smarter; it also exposes you to more ideas. These ideas may be exactly what you’ll draw on when it’s time to deal with a cranky client, launch a podcast, or update your products. 


It’s easy to rely on your wisdom alone to guide you in your business. But it can also be tricky and may even lead you into trouble, since you can get stuck in ruts and overlook vital information.

Lower Your Stress Levels

Imagine this: You’re having one of those days where you keep bumping into a problem. Try as you might, you can’t seem to come up with a solution that doesn’t create more work or chaos for you.

Instead of fixating on it and letting it derail your productivity, consider reading a book instead. Quietly reading for a few minutes can lower stress levels and give your mind break. As an added bonus, you may even find that a few minutes away helps you come up with the solution you were looking for.

Embrace a Mentor

Reading business books filled with advice and insight from entrepreneurs who have walked the same path can be like having a mentor to guide you. You can benefit from their years of experience without having to make the same mistakes.

Of course, a good book can’t take the place of a supportive coach. But it can be a wonderful way to learn from others and glean valuable insights to help you grow your brand in new ways.

Developing a regular reading habit is one of the best things you can do for your business. Not only will you boost your communication skills, you’ll also improve your own creative thinking at the same time.

No comments: