ads

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

I Know What I Bring To The Table

I bring a lot to the table.  A lifetime of experience...

So far I have been through:

11 jobs

A full military career (Cryptologic Technician, USN)

20+ years in business (not counting all the times I dabbled and quit.  That would make it 43 years off and on).

4 major career shifts/life reinventions (and countless "course corrections)

4 relocations (not counting all the military transfers.  Or the times we had to move growing up because we couldn't afford to stay where we were.  Grew up poor. That raises the total substantially!)

2 marriages, 1 divorce

38 years of marriage ( 6 years with husband #1, 32 years with husband #2)

Raised 1 daughter and 1 step-daughter through their teenage years (YIKES!)

37 years of raising/supporting a child with chronic health issues

13 years of being married to someone with chronic health issues

The deaths of both my parents

The births of 5 grandchildren

8 years caring for a parent with Alzheimer's

1 book published, 2 more in progress

3 years of college (not all at once.  It's hard going to school when you are on active duty).

Cancer (which derailed that last year of college.  After that, finishing just wasn't that important)

1 HUGE crisis of faith (no details on that.  Too many others involved who may not want their story told.)

1 MASSIVE rekindling of my faith

2 earthquakes, 2 hurricanes, 1 volcanic eruption, 1 blizzard (no tornados yet - at least not directly - despite living in Tornado Alley for the past 25 years).

5 network marketing companies (took me awhile to learn it wasn't the company, it was me).

I was born before there were things like the internet, cellphones, cable TV, satellite radio, or computers. My grandchildren laugh when I tell them that.  They can't fathom life without these conveniences.  Today I run a thriving online business.

I grew up poor.  I mean POOR!  Like standing in line to get surplus food poor.  Having your mom remake hand-me-downs from your cousins so you could have "new" school clothes poor. Potato soup and fried squash for dinner poor.  Turning on the oven in the kitchen to get warm because there was no heat poor. Today, I pretty much can buy whatever I want.  My children and grandchildren have never known what it's like to be cold or hungry.  They've had everything they needed and a lot of what they wanted (not everything!  They do need to understand the value of working for something.)

My mom had some issues.  I realize now that she was bi-polar.  And probably suffered from dementia caused by her uncontrolled diabetes.  But back then we didn't have the knowledge and treatments available today.  So she was just "odd".  Which meant I was odd by association. (I am a little "different."  No denying that!).  Which meant I was teased and bullied through most of my school years.  But I found my circle of other "misfits" and together we loved and supported each other through.  (And we never once thought about grabbing a gun and shooting up the school or killing our classmates - even though most of us grew up with guns.  Rural community with lots of hunters and all that!)

Being bullied and laughed at can make you shy.  It used to be I would rather die than have to talk in front of people.  Today I stand on stage and speak what's on my mind and in my heart and don't even think about it.

I've had some "stuff" in my life.  Lots that I didn't even mention here.  And I could use that as an excuse.  I was bullied.  I was teased and ostracized. I didn't have a stable home.  I was poor.  I had cancer.  I didn't get to finish college.  Blah, blah, blah...  And all of it served to bring me to right where I am today.  Right where I am supposed to be.  Doing exactly what I was meant to do.  I have 61 years of experiences that have taught me much about life, about business, about people.  They have made me stronger, more resilient, more creative, more accepting, more confident, and more faithful.  When you work with me, you get the benefit of all that.  I know what I bring to the table!

So why am I telling you all this?  Because I hear this all the time.  "I'm shy.  I was poor.  I don't understand technology.  I have health problems. I'm a single parent.  I could never do what you do."  And I am not discounting any of that by any means.  But what I am saying is that all of these things - good and bad - make you unique.  And that makes you uniquely qualified to help someone else.  Your experiences can make you or break you.  The beauty is you get to choose! 

So what will it be?  I know what I bring to the table.  Don't make me eat alone! 

 

No comments: