ads

Sunday, March 16, 2014

When Fantasy Becomes Reality

Fact: Almost anyone can become a millionaire.
Fact: Almost anyone can become a successful entrepreneur.
Fact: It is possible to wake up excited about life every day.
Fact: You can turn your passion into your work - and make the first three facts part of your reality!

What if you start tomorrow believing that these facts are true for you? What if you make them part of your reality. It has been proven many times that when you change your perception of reality, you change your behavior accordingly.

Most people go through life thinking this is all there is. I was as guilty of this as anyone. I knew I'd never be rich. I came from a poor family. We couldn't afford the "fancy" degree from the "right" college. And then later, when I was making a decent living, perhaps I could have gone back to school. But I was on active duty, a young mom with two small daughters and an active duty husband as well. I didn't have the time to go to back to school. And while I had ideas for businesses of my own - well, I had children and financial responsibilities. What if my ideas didn't work? How would I take care of my family?

Fast forward 20 years. My life today is so different. I'm not rich - yet - but I'm on the way to being totally financially independent. I make a good living doing something I love. I am a successful entrepreneur. What happened to make it all possible? Granted, I am no longer on active duty. But I still worked a job for a very long time. The jobs I had demanded long hours and lots of travel so I still had no time for school. I still had two daughters - only now I also had a step-daughter. And I took on the care of my father who suffered from Alzheimer's. I still had financial responsibilities and obligations. If you think three children are expensive, try spoiling seven grandchildren! So what changed? My perception. I had a dad who needed full time care and no money for a decent nursing home. I had daughters with children of their own that couldn't find decent, affordable childcare. I NEEDED to be able to stay home. I also NEEDED to be able to earn a living.

Then I was given a book as a gift. And in that book was a quote by George Bernard Shaw. "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." That's when I realized that instead of trying to adapt myself to the reality of my present life, I had to adapt reality to the life I needed. And when you change your perception of reality, you change your behavior accordingly.

Let's do a little exercise. Answer these questions. Do you believe you can be financially independent? Do you believe you can find a life's work that you are passionate about and that excites you every day? Not everyone wants the responsibility of their own business, but do you believe that you can earn a living doing something you love? If you answered truthfully - from your heart - yes! then you are ready to move forward. But if there was even the slightest hesitation or doubt before you said yes - then you are ready to move forward. It might just take a little longer to get there!

Open your mind to the possibilities of what could be if you accept it. Put away the "buts" and "what ifs" and "maybes" and just believe that you can have everything you need. Dream of your perfect life. What do you do? Where do you live? Write it down so you can look at it everyday as you learn the skills and techniques necessary to help you enjoy the life you dream of. Look at your 'fantasy' life regularly and begin to accept the idea that it isn't a fantasy at all but your new reality.

No comments: