ads

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Network Marketing Tip of the Week - Overcoming Objections

I've found that there are three big objections that frequently come up when I show prospects my network marketing business overview.


1. I don't have the money.

2. I don't have the time.

3. I want to do it but I can't right now.

This is assuming everything else fits. They have the need and I have the opportunity that can help them. They like me and trust me and we are both excited about the possibilities. But then an objection bomb falls. So what do I do? First of all, it's important for me, the professional, to understand the nature of the objection. And the first fact about all three objections is that they almost always aren't true. Almost every time. They are just excuses to cover fear and uncertainty. For instance: I don't have the money now really means I'm afraid to spend the money without knowing I'll really get it back. What if I fail?

I don't have the time now really means I'm not sure I want to give up time I spend on other things unless I'm sure this will really work.

I'm not ready or able now means I'll never really be ready or able because I'm afraid to take a risk without proof that I can do this.

During my Navy career, part of my physical training was an obstacle course. And one of the obstacles was a ten foot wall. The reality was that the wall was ten feet high. I remember thinking I'd never get over it. It was too high. I'd fall off and hurt myself or embarrass myself in front of my shipmates. And then our company commander told us that it was time to go over the wall. And he really had no interest in our reasons why it was impossible. "It's a ten foot wall. Now go over the wall." So we put our heads together and in just a few minutes (no kidding!), amazingly to me, we found a way to get over the wall. And this is exactly how a potential business partner looks at working with you. They see a fee, a commitment of time and a challenge that they have never faced before - a ten foot wall. So the immediate knee-jerk reaction is to panic and start making excuses. And the worst mistake you can make is to let them.

"Yes,that wall is too high. You're right, it's impossible to get over. I understand how hard it is, so let me call you back in a few months and see if you're ready to get over the wall then." I promise you, they won't be ready. Again, assuming the work or project is right for them and they will gain a real benefit from working with you, then it is simply irresponsible to buy into their excuses. You are definitely not serving their best interests if you "just let it slide."

So what do you say instead? You tell them the truth:

"This is something you really want to do, right?"

"Yes it is"

"And if we do this, you agree that it will make a huge difference in your life, correct?"

"Yes, it will."

"Then I'd like you to make a commitment to move forward. And when you do that, we'll work together to find a way to pay for it (or fit it into your schedule or get past your uncertainty). Are you willing to do that?"

"Well, I'm not sure. What if I can't pay for it (or find the time or get past my uncertainties)?" "Let's do this: You make the commitment and I promise we'll find a way to make it work. The worst that could happen is that things will get delayed a little while. But I know when you make the commitment, we can make it happen."

"OK, let's do it!"

Will it always go like this? Can you use this script verbatim? What if they accuse you of pressuring them? What if they tell you never to darken their doorway again? All I can tell you is that if you make the commitment to take a stand for the truth about the difference this opportunity will make for your prospects (and don't back down when they make excuses), you will have a partner who puts themselves completely in your hands and produces a magnificent outcome. Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? !

2 comments:

Michele said...

This was perfect for me and just what I needed to read. I am working with a networking marketing product which I truly believe in but encounter all the 'excuses' you mention. I do not have any experience with this and find it intimidating when people give excuses. I, like you said should not do, back down and give them time. Loads of time, to rethink and it usually turns around on me and I feel I can never ask them again.
However, after reading your blog, I feel more motivated and more secure and will practice and practice until I am able to change peoples lives by coming on board with me. Thank you!!

Melodieann Whiteley said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, Michele. I am glad I was able to provide some encouragement.