ads

Monday, June 24, 2013

7 Reasons to Start a Business

If you don't have a business yet, there has never been a better time to start one. Thanks to the internet it is now cheaper and easier to get up and running than ever before. And thanks to all of those who have gone before you, there is more help than ever before.

There are plenty of reasons to start your own business.  So if you are still unsure, see if you fit any of these scenarios.

1.  You are currently unemployed.  Let's face it.  Yes, the economy is improving.  But companies are still hesitant to hire new staff.  Add to that the fact that as boomers, many of us face age discrimination.  They don't call it that, since it's illegal, but that's what it is nonetheless.  Instead, we find we are "overqualified" for many jobs.  Or that we just don't fit the "company vibe."  (Seriously.  That was the term they used - company vibe).  Or they just don't call at all.  If you are currently unemployed, you certainly have the time to start a business.  We can help you find the idea.  All you need is a space to work and the motivation.  If this sounds like you, now might just be the time to start a business.

2.  Tax advantages.  There are plenty of tax advantages for entrepreneurs - even home based business owners and network marketers.  I deduct portions of my internet bill, my cell phone, travel, and much more.  I am not a tax expert so I won't tell you what is legal and what isn't.  But the tax breaks for a business may just make it worthwhile for you to start one of your own.  Contact a tax professional for advice.

3.  To boost your finances.  If you currently are employed and have no desire to leave, but could use a bit more money each month, then starting a business may be the answer.  Many businesses can be run part time from your home.  I should know.  That's how I started.  You may even be able to one day make enough to replace your job.  Which brings us to reason number 4...

4.  Freedom.  I missed many of my children's special moments growing up because I was at work.  Birthdays, holidays, vacations, concerts, sporting events, field trips.  I left them with strangers when they were sick because I had to go to work.  I've gone to work when I was sick myself, because I couldn't afford to take the time off.  The freedom of being my own boss is worth more than I can describe.  It's too late for my children, but I have all the time I want for my grandchildren.  If you long for the freedom to set your own schedule and call your own shots, then it may be time to start a business of your own.

5.  Financial independence.  I can't guarantee you will become wealthy by starting a business.  I'll be honest - many businesses fail.  But when you work for someone else you know you will always make a certain amount of money and nothing you do can change that unless you work more hours or manage to get a raise or promotion.  When you own your own business, there is no limit to what you can make if you learn how to build a successful enterprise and are willing to do the work necessary to get there.

6.  You can leave it to your children.  I admit it.  I look at the state of our country and the world today and I sometimes wonder what type of life my children and grandchildren will live when I am gone.  Will they have good jobs?  Will they be able to afford a decent home?  By teaching them how to run my businesses, I can leave them a legacy that may not guarantee their future success, but could provide them with everything they need in the future.

7.  Pad your resume.  In a recent survey, 28% of future employers said they preferred seeing starting a business as a way to fill in any gaps in employment.

Do any of these sound like you?  Then join the "boomerpreneur" revolution.  Let's do this! 

 

No comments: