ads

Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's Not About You, It's About Bacon

Yes, that's right.  It's all about BACON!  Or at least that's the premise of author Brian Basilico.  You may have noticed I have been conspicuously absent for the past week.  Partly because this week seemed to be my week for everything to blow up - flat tires (that's what happens when you run over a ladder - even in a Jeep), recurring knee problems, sick pets, husband's health problems (and the news that his cardiologist has been suspended!) etc, etc.  But when I wasn't dealing with the latest crisis I had my nose in Brian's book. 

I warn you now.  If you are looking for another marketing book with lots of pictures, charts and diagrams - something you can whip through in a night or two - this isn't it.  This is 276 pages of information.  But trust me - you will want to read - and even re-read - every word.  The information Brian shares will change the way you network, if you use it.

Brian says the this book is a "Why-to" not a "How-to".  But I still found lots of "How-tos" here.  Things like how to choose the best networking groups.  How to build the 5 pages essential to every website.  How to create great content.  But Brian was right - he not only shares some of the "Hows" he also shares the "Whys".  So many "coaches" simply tell you "do this/don't do that" without ever explaining why.  If you hate that as much as I do, then you will love Brian's book.

It's Not About You, It's About Bacon explains networking in all its forms.  Not just social media.  Face-to-face networking.  Blogging.  Websites.  But don't worry all of you Facebook fanatics and Twitter addicts.  Brian devotes entire chapters to each of these, as well as LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest.  And yes, he even tells you why-to (and how-to) use YouTube.

Each chapter starts with a list of Bacon-izms - statements of the important points of each chapter.  Things like getting people to like you takes time and effort.  Web stats rarely tell you the whole story.  You can't just copy and paste images, text or videos.  You know this stuff.  Brian just makes it all make sense.

I met Brian through Felicia Slattery's 21 Ways to Make Money Speaking program.  I am SO glad I did because I must admit - Brian, I love you but I probably would not have bought this book.  But after hearing you talk about it during our group sessions with Felicia, I knew I had to have it.  If it was even half as good as you made it sound, I knew it would be an invaluable resource.  Well, I hate to tell you but it's even better than you described.

It took me a week to to read the book.  The information in it will be forever worthwhile.  I intend to start back at Chapter 1 and take each tidbit of info and see how it applies to my business.  I can't wait to see what happens when I do! 



2 comments:

B2b said...

Thanks Melodieann. I really appreciate such a glowing review! There is SO MUCH misinformation out there about social ME-dia! I hope it gets into the hands of as many people as possible because I know it will change their perspective on how to benefit through relationships past, present, and yet to come!

B2b said...

Thanks Melodieann. I really appreciate such a glowing review! There is SO MUCH misinformation out there about social ME-dia! I hope it gets into the hands of as many people as possible because I know it will change their perspective on how to benefit through relationships past, present, and yet to come!