ads

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Begin Each Day With Gratitude

I post a lot about gratitude.  It's one of my favorite topics.  Why?  Because it is one of the key components to my success.  When I focus on what I am thankful for each day, it helps remind me of all the progress I have made.  And when I see how far I have come, it encourages me to continue working, even on those days when I  have hit a bump in the road.


Beginning each day with gratitude may sound kind of vague and "new-agey" and not a very concrete step to take when building your business.  But there actually are things you can do to help you start each day with that "attitude of gratitude."  For example, I start each morning before I ever get out of bed just stating to myself all the things I am grateful for.  As I wake and stretch and prepare to rise and start the day, I give a silent, mental thank you for all the positive things in my life.  It takes a minute and helps me start the day on a positive note.


Now in case you think I'm crazy when I say this has contributed to my success, let's look at some research.  Studies have shown that practicing gratitude makes you happier, strengthen relationships, improves health, reduces stress, and increases resilience.  And aren't all of those qualities that contribute to being more successful?  If you are happier and have better relationships, people are more likely to want to associate with you.  The better your health, the better able you are to work on your business.  Less stress?  Who can't benefit from less stress?  And resilience is a key success factor, no matter what your walk in life is.


If you need some help finding ways to practice gratitude daily, try the exercise above.  Or keep a gratitude journal.  I have also done this for many years.  Each night before I go to bed, I simply list 5 things that I am thankful for that day.  It can be something as big as a new prospect for my business or as simple as the a nuzzle from my little dog.  It helps me end the day on a positive note and reminds me of all the things to say thank you for in the morning. 


Do you need help finding things to be grateful for?  I have a recommendation for that too!  I belong to a group called the Secret Society of Happy People.  And they host a Facebook group called Happiness in Action.  Each month they post four Happiness Challenges to be completed during the month.  These are all things that are positive and fun and always help provide me something to be thankful for!  For example, one of the activities this month was to find an old picture and print it and frame it.  Coincidentally, my sister had just emailed me a photo she found of us as children.  So it is now printed and framed and sitting in my office.  It reminds me to be thankful for family and especially for the close relationship I have with my sister even though we are 10 years and 6 hours apart!


What are you grateful for?  Leave a comment and let me know. 

No comments: