ads

Monday, October 8, 2018

How to Rock Your Journal Sessions


I love journaling. I always feel better after doing it. But sometimes, I let life get in the way and I avoid doing it - sometimes for or several weeks. It's a bit like going to the gym. I never regret getting it done but sometimes, I find it difficult to get started.

I shared this with my friend, Kristen, and she suggested a few tips to help me become more consistent with my journaling habit. If you also struggle with consistency, consider trying some of these ideas…

Create a Template

Kristen explained that she had created a template for her journaling time. It meant that when she sat down to write, she didn’t have to wait for inspiration or try to come up with something new to say. A few of the questions on Kristen’s template include:

·         What am I grateful for today?

·         Who did I show kindness to?

·         What I did learn from yesterday?

·         How am I feeling?

·         What’s one thing I want to do now?


My template is a bit different since I journal for a different
purpose. But I find that having some predetermined
questions  that I ask each time really helps get my thoughts
flowing.
Make It Fun

Kristen told me to make my sessions fun. “When it’s fun, you’re naturally drawn to an activity, so make it easy and enjoyable.”

For me, this means brewing a cup of my favorite tea each time I sit down to journal. I savor the tea in my favorite mug and the warm liquid helps me to relax before I begin to write.

Play Music

Another way to make it fun is to play music. Some people, like me, do their best journaling if they have their music blasting. Other people find music is too distracting when they’re trying to write.

If you enjoy listening to music when you’re working on a project, you might be one of those people who finds it inspiring to listen while you journal. Experiment with different kinds of music until you find the one that makes journaling easiest for you.

Have a Special Journal Spot

I like to journal from the comfort of my front porch during the early morning hours. I sit in my rocking chair and sip my tea, often getting out early enough to watch the sunrise.

Kristen has tried to do the same thing but didn’t find the environment stimulating enough. She likes to be surrounded by people and the hum of conversation. So, she decided to make the local Starbucks her journaling spot and finds it works much better for her.

Schedule It

Kristen encouraged me to schedule each journaling session like I would a doctor’s appointment or other event. “By scheduling time to journal, you’re more likely to do it,” she explained.

Of course, this doesn’t mean you have to make it a daily habit. Kristen enjoys journaling each morning but I find that is too frequent for me. So, I changed my schedule and now journal twice a week.
Journaling might not feel natural at first, but don’t give up on it too fast. Instead, try some of the tips above. Pay attention to what works best for your personality and inspires you to write.

No comments: