ads

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

On the Road Again...I Can't Wait to Get On the Road Again!

I am SOOOOO looking forward to attending a few events this year!  I admit...last year was tough.  After speaking at Authority Maker Bootcamp in Las Vegas, I stayed pretty close to home.  Sometimes life just gets in the way.  If you are close to me at all then you know that my husband, my daughter, and #1 grandson were all dealing with some major health challenges.  So while I was indeed on the road, it was mostly back and forth to doctors and hospitals.  But thankfully, all three of them are doing well (your prayers and support were very much appreciated!) and so I am once again anticipating being able to actually travel.


I miss going to events.  They do so much for my business.  Yes, I know.  We have the weekly webinars, which I never miss.  And there are blogs, and books, and podcasts aplenty!  But nothing compares to the energy and opportunities you will find at a live event.


I remember my first event.  It was jvAlert hosted by Ken McArthur.  While I was working from home at the time sort of, it wasn't as an entrepreneur.  I was actually working for a site selection company and had helped Ken book the space and negotiate the contract for his event.  When he invited me to attend as his guest, I thought it would be interesting and said yes.  I'm so glad I did because that event changed EVERYTHING in my life!  


I wanted...NEEDED...to work from home.  I was dabbling in network marketing at the time.  But I knew nothing about the internet, or social media, or attraction marketing.  So to be surrounded by a room full of people who felt like I did and were actually doing it was - at the risk of sounding cliché - LIFE CHANGING!  And that's one reason everyone should go to events.  They are full of people just like you!  People who want something more for their future and aren't afraid to go after it.


I learned so much from that event.  It's where I was introduced to Twitter (my social platform of choice) and Facebook.  It's where I learned about blogging.  In fact, I created my first blog the first night of the event in my hotel room.  Events are perfect places to go and learn new skills.  I always come home full of new ideas armed with a long list of techniques and resources I can't wait to try.


And of course I got to meet THE Ken McArthur.  Of course, being in Ken's orbit was amazing enough.  But through him, I have met so many other leaders in this business.  Felicia Slattery.  Debra Jason. The Poodle Wrangler himself, Brian G. Johnson.  Carrie Wilkerson, Bob Sparkins, Larry Hochman.  The list is long.  Going to events can often provide you with the opportunity to meet the rockstars in your industry face-to-face.  They can be the start of a very beneficial relationship.  Sometimes, they can even be the start of beautiful friendships.


And did I mention the benefit of networking with these superstars?  Because through them, other relationships have blossomed.  It's how I met Heshie Segal, who introduced me to ARIIX and to Michael Butler, who published my book.  It's how I met Diane Hochman who has taught me more about building my business than anyone else.  It's where I met Andy Shepherd, who helped me to find my voice, and Joel Comm, who told me stop writing what I thought would sell and write what I know.  It's where I met Gwendolyn Crewes Weiler, who took my jumbled mess of words and turned them into a book.  P.S.  If you're looking for an editor, I highly recommend her!  But most importantly, it's where I met Amparo, and Lee, and Rick, and Leland, and Wendy, and so many others who brighten my day every day with their friendship and love.  Events are wonderful places to network and grow your circle of friends.


Events are fun!  Yes, I know they can be expensive.  Most charge for admission.  And then there is travel and hotels and food while you're on the road.  But where else can you find so much opportunity to learn and grow?  It's an investment in your business, in yourself.  And if you aren't worth investing in, what is?


I am very excited about the events coming up this year.  Maybe I'll see you at one of them!  I'll be posting which ones I'm attending on social media so if you see me and you're there, come say hi!



No comments: